Bodallin owes its existence to a fresh water soak constructed by Charles Hunt in 1865.  The well was one of 26 built by Hunt between York and the Hampton plains to encourage pastoralists to open up the inland.  The idea did not succeed because the country was too dry for livestock, and ‘bushfires ever burning.’ Although Hunt’s wells were not helpful for pastoralists, they became the life-line for gold seekers 25 years later, being roughly in line with the gold strikes.

However it was the Railways that put Bodallin on the map, by choosing to build a siding where the town is situated today.  Bodallin soak is seven miles away and closer to Westonia, but the grades were more favourable where the town now is.Bodallin was little more than a railway watering stop and camping ground for the first 30 years.  After the First World War the surrounding land was opened to farming, as a means of repaying the debt to returning soldiers, particularly from Great Britain. 

Bodallin was another popular venue for picnics.  The special train of 1907 was crowded with Southern Cross people as it departed with the local band playing and crackers popping.  At Bodallin the aborigines demonstrated boomerang and spear throwing.  They were described in the local paper as, ‘poor things, theirs is a miserable existence, ill fed, homeless, clad in rags from the generous white man who has taken his country and means of subsistence.’

The Rankin Brothers made their mark in the district, as hoteliers, pastoral owners, and miners (Mount Rankin).  In 1897 Robert Rankin built the Railway Hotel at Bodallin, the 7-roomed building being described as no better than a barn.  In 1902 the license was transferred to John Rankin, and then in 1907 to Fred Smirk.  Angus Rankin owned the hotel at No 5 Pump (Yerbillion).   In 1906 Robert was fined £5 for being drunk and allowing aborigines to congregate around his pub at Bodallin.

The little township had difficulty in knowing its own name.  The railways called it Bodallin, maps showed the soak as Boodalin, while the hotel sign said it was Boddalin.

Horticulture was also flourishing.  Angus Rankin from Bodallin planted 1,000 tomato plants using water from the Goldfields Scheme.  Mr Wells started a  market garden 9 miles north of Parkers Road where a well existed.

In July 1923 a town site was surveyed at Bodallin.  By now 70 agricultural blocks were occupied close to the town.  As 14 school age children were in the area the Bodallin Progress Association asked for a State School. G A Bestwick built a general store and post office. 

In 1925 Land was in demand with 342 applications received for 41 blocks.  For one block 71 applicants applied. The district was placed on the circuit for the Methodist Minister to preach, as well as at nearby Westonia. Bestwick had the store and newsagency.  Sworn in as JP, May 1925. By 1925 Bodallin had their own cricket team.  Bodallin Progress Association ask for the town site to be cleared. December 1925 harvesting in full swing with crops better than expected.  The children's fancy dress was a great success and the school will soon need enlarging as it is packed to the door.  Sellers complain about poor train services to go to market towns. The Yilgarn Road Board will increase to nine members by creating a West Ward to take in Bodallin area. Approx. 80 children assembled at Bodallin School on Christmas Eve with Mr Temby playing Father Christmas.

1928 a sanitary depot is to be installed at Bodallin.  The railways have been asked to build stock yards.

Bodallin now has a fuel station/general store/post office and Town Hall. The school closed circa 2001 and is now a Shearing Contractors Accommodation.